Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Case for Home

Home Sweet Home! We all put our hearts into our home. The elderly are no different! The first thing my mother told me (as a young girl) was she never wants to live in a nursing home. She told me
  • she worked for many years
  • finally lives in her dream home
  • she wants to leave this earth living in this home
With those thoughts in mind, she will stay in her home. Mom would benefit from the socialization she might get in a nursing home. However, she does not wish to be around others.
So far, so good! I have fought tooth and nail to keep her in her home.
My dad feels sort of the same. However, I think men do not get quite as attached to a home as women. He seems to be happy as long as he has CNN and his office!
The case for parents staying in their home once they are not able to do for themselves is a hard one. I think this is a personal choice, depending on the persons' situation both financial and medically.
  • I feel blessed to have the financial capability to hire caregivers, providing appropriate care in my parents home.
  • Both parents have Alzheimers, however, they are now pretty compliant with what I ask of them
  • I feel blessed we have a good medical team as well as legal team to guide me through.
My parents have friends who come over, bringing lunch, talking to them taking into consideration their physical and emotional conditions.
I do question what quality of life is this? However, I would not want to leave my home when I am in this situation. I, too, worked hard for my home, putting my heart and soul into the creation I call home.
So, which is it? Nursing Home or Home?

1 comment:

Karen and Gerard said...

You are fortunate that your parents allow helpers to come in to assist them! My dad didn't want that but still wanted to live by himself in his house until his dying day even though he really needed assistance to stay on schedule with his medication.